A compendium of news/articles/videos/pictures/events/stories that triggered the “Oh my god alarm!” Omygdaily – June 14 2016 edition will discuss:
- Suffering from the affluenza bug, I guess. Mow down people in cold blood then tell authorities to collect compensation from dad.
- Morons at the helm of affairs. Trying to block access to escort sites, when such measures can easily be circumvented.
- A research experiment shows how a tropical fish was able to distinguish between familiar and unfamiliar faces.
- An owl hugs a man who took care of her.
Suffering from the affluenza bug, I guess. Mow down people in cold blood then tell authorities to collect compensation from dad (Read More)
- Rishabh Rawat is India’s Ethan Couch. Both were intoxicated when they mowed down people with the vehicle they were driving. Rishabh killed two and injured one, whereas Ethan killed four and injured 11. In the case of Ethan, his attorneys put forward the affluenza defense—being affluent, hence removed from reality, prevents the defendant from understanding the consequences of his action. Therefore, the defendant needs rehabilitation, not prison. Would you believe that the attorneys were successful in defending their client using the affluenza defence? With enough money power you can prove or disprove anything, even in a court of law. Justice is negotiable, if currency is on the table.
Therefore, here is a noble idea. May I recommend the “destitute defence” strategy for people who are not affluent. If you are not affluent and ever have to defend yourself in a court of law, please state that being a destitute prevents you from understanding the consequences of your action; hence, you need to be rehabilitated and not sent to a prison. I am sure that will work. Pinkie promise!
Say what now?
Morons at the helm of affairs. Trying to block access to escort sites, when such measures can easily be circumvented. (Read More)
- Is the Communications & IT ministry filled with morons? Haven’t they heard of a VPN or proxy servers or Tor? Don’t they realize that their attempts to block access to sites can be easily circumvented? Are they that dense? The only way they can be successful in their endeavors is by pulling the plug on the Net. Maybe that’s what they would really like? Totalitarian control? Moreover, do they really think they can be the moral police by banning stuffs? Do they think that just because they have blocked access to a few sites, people will not be able to buy/sell what they really want using some other avenue? Did they all graduate from Vishun Roy College of Engineering and Advanced Science, Bihar? Phew!! Too many questions. That’ll keep them busy for a few years.
A research experiment shows how a tropical fish was able to distinguish between familiar and unfamiliar faces. (Read More)
- “Archerfish have an uncanny ability to spit. Yes, that’s right, these fish shoot jets of water out of their mouths to knock prey, like insects, out of the air. Because of their accuracy, these spitting swimmers were perfect candidates for this experiment. The researchers first trained the fish to spit at a particular face displayed on a screen. When they got it right, they were rewarded with food. Once the fish were trained to spit at a face, the researchers mixed that face in among as many as 44 others in sequence. And the fish didn’t spit randomly: 81 percent of the time they spat at the correct face.“
An owl hugs a man who took care of her. (Read More)
- So, this guy is an owl whisperer? Man, some people have fun jobs while the rest of us are stuck in our cubicles slaving it out. If only I could be a squirrel whisperer, then, I could be up on a tree chatting with them.