A compendium of news/articles/videos/pictures/events/stories that triggered the “Oh my god alarm!” Omygdaily – May 31 2016 edition discusses the following items:
- A 15-year-old girl raped and murdered in Bahraich district of Uttar Pradesh.
- Locked in for 10 years after being initially sentenced to a 10 month jail term.
- Now you have a job… now you don’t. Companies not keeping their promises to the campus hires.
- Indus Valley Civilization older that Egyptian and Mesopotamian civilizations… and more.
A 15-year-old girl raped and murdered in Bahraich district of Uttar Pradesh. (Read More)
- Eye for an eye. Castrate the guilty; that should be the law of the land. Otherwise, this menace will continue in India. What has me flummoxed is the data that India is one of the countries where the rates of rape, per capita, is the lowest, supposedly 2 per 100,00 people. This data can only make sense, if a large number of rapes go unreported, which according to Madiha Kark is as high 54%. Many victims of rape in India do not report the crime because of the fear of being ostracized by the society, humiliated in public, or shunned by the family. Many choose to remain silent because of fear of retribution. Would you believe that Uttar Pradesh, where this incident occurred, reported 3.1 rapes per 100,000 females, as per National Crime Records Bureau’s (NCRB)? Bihar happens to be the lowest at 2.2 per 100,000. Two Indian states where society is firmly stratified based on caste lines, where inter-caste rivalry has been responsible for numerous deaths, where caste-based killings are the highest, reported rapes below the nationwide average. Go figure!
Locked in for 10 years after being initially sentenced to a 10 month jail term. (Read More)
- The justice system in countries around the world is really messed up. How can the parole board not realize that this person needs mental help and should not be locked up in a cell? James has been in jail for 10 years because of Arson and his inability to prove to the parole board that he is reformed. Compare this to the ‘affluenza teen‘, who got 10 years of probation for killing four people. Then he jumped parole, got re-arrested and was sentenced to two years in jail. Money and power can buy everything, even a reduced jail sentence. Even Justice has a price; meet that price and it can be bought. James does not have money nor power; hence, he is languishing in a cell. Justice is indeed blind!
Now you have a job… now you don’t. Companies not keeping their promises to the campus hires. (Read More)
- All employees should remember that they are just a number in the payroll system. In an organization, if the numbers are not being met, you will be just a number… to be let go. Businesses are in the business to make money. If they aren’t making money, then you are just an overhead; hence, expendable As the graduating students are just finding out, the offer letter is not even worth the paper it is printed on. It is a hollow promise made to them by the companies, based on an approximation that some future numbers will be met. In this case, the numbers weren’t met; hence the case of “offer letter meet the shredder.” I empathize with the affected students, and, at the risk of being repetitive, let me say this again, “You are just a number, plan your life accordingly.“
Indus Valley civilization older that Egyptian and Mesopotamian civilizations (Read More)
- Climate change strikes again! A few days ago, we learned that the Mongol hordes stopped their European campaign because of climate change. Now, Indus Valley civilization ended because of climate change. Next, we will hear that climate change is a result of climate change. Does anybody remember the great hullabaloo about global cooling during the 70s and the 80s. Now, it is global warming and climate change. What happened in the last 40 years that caused the scientists to change their prognostication from global cooling to global warming. No, seriously, is earth cooling, or is it warming?
Watch an airstrike
destroy an oil well. (Read More)
- No it didn’t. It did diddly-squat. The title is misleading. The oil-pump was still standing after the airstrike. The dictionary definition of destroy is “To break apart the structure of, render physically unusable, or cause to cease to exist as a distinguishable physical entity” None of these things happened to the oil-pump. What an utter waste of taxpayers’ money?
Say what now?
Refuses to have sex or wear the outfit of your choice? BEAT them!! (Read More)
- Now, can somebody clarify the “lightly beat” part to me. What according to their opinion is “lightly beat”? Is there some room for adjustment here? Would “lightly beat” mean:
- Stoned to death?
- Two kicks and a punch? Would two-and-a-half kicks and a punch constitute a breach of the “lightly beat” dictate?
- How about one punch, two shoves and half a kick? Would that still be a “lightly beat”?
- How about two slaps, a bite, a pinch and a headbutt? Or, am I dangerously close to being shown the red card here?
“Lightly beat”. LOL! Pakistan should have a new tagline—“Pakistan… caught in the fifth century since the fifth century, we mean since 1947.“
The rich inherit wealth and the poor inherit serfdom. It has gone on for centuries and will continue for centuries more. (Read More)
- Pretty sure that this is mostly true across the world. The rich, the famous and the connected rarely let go of the stranglehold they have over the masses. The world was always a few rich families ruling over the plebes. The middle-class is an aberration and it will be taken care of soon.
GoAir pilot flying with an invalid license (Read More)
- You cannot make this up. In 2014, 320 pilots belonging to various domestic airlines flew without a valid license. And the troubling part is that most domestic airlines do not have a process in place to detect this lapse. It comes to light either through voluntary disclosures or via an audit.
Hey, domestic airlines, here is an idea. In your personnel database, add a column titled, “License validity”. Next populate that column with the date of expiry of the license. Now, you can code to generate an alarm if a certain condition is met; for e.g., inform HR that licence is due for renewal in 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or 6 months. It isn’t that difficult to build such a system, you know. I am so glad that modern planes can mostly fly themselves.
Cannot deliver letters and packages properly… now they are getting into the business of delivering Gangajal (Water from the River Ganges). (Read More)
- Can I customize my Gangajal request to the postal department. I do not want Gangajal from Allahabad, Varanasi or Patna, because the water there is mostly polluted with feces, decaying human bodies and industrial waste. I want “pure” Gangajal from the source—the confluence of Alaknanda and Bhagirathi. Can you do that for me? Pretty please?
Forrest, Leopard, Run!! (Read More)
- “It will make you dizzy”. What? No, it won’t. Hyperbole much?
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]